raylib»Forums
3 posts
Asking some things
Edited by brojonisbro on Reason: Initial post

Hi! I'm coming from another open source engine and i need some informations about raylib.
I'm starting with programming, I don't know if some questions are worth it, because Raylib is lightweight:

Is Raylib capable of creating great content like complex AAA games? (Eg Resident Evil 6 Camera, Borderlands 3 Weapons, Nier Automata Combat with Partner, etc.)

Can I create custom modules without recompiling like an engine from scratch using the static library? For example, Hex file reader or header images (png to .h, .hpp with imagemagick)

How do I get Raylib to create cross platform binaries without much work? (Using GCC, MingW, OSXCross, and Android Toolchains)

I read about this content the other day and found it interesting, Raylib supports LUT and CLUT, for 2D, camera and 3D objects, if I want to use CelShading?

I would like to ask a lot more about RayLib's capacity, as I found the framework very interesting to start with games, but for the topic not to get too big I decided to just ask that (some questions didn't come to mind either)

Sorry for my english
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Asking some things
brojonisbro
Is Raylib capable of creating great content like complex AAA games? (Eg Resident Evil 6 Camera, Borderlands 3 Weapons, Nier Automata Combat with Partner, etc.)

Those are things you program yourself, the engine you use doesn't impact that. And raylib is a library, not an engine. It helps you with platform abstraction and provides module to help you make a game. You can do anything, but you'll have to program it.

From www.raylib.com:
NOTE for ADVENTURERS: raylib is a programming library to enjoy videogames programming; no fancy interface, no visual helpers, no auto-debugging... just coding in the most pure spartan-programmers way. Are you ready to learn?

The website and wiki (look at the table of contents) provides more information (for example: how to work on different platforms).

PS: if you can, delete the duplicate thread from the handmade forum.
3 posts
Asking some things
Thanks for the info, and I already deleted the dup.ed-post :)
Ray
62 posts / 1 project
I like videogames/gametools development.
Asking some things
Hi brojonismo, excuse me for the late reply!

mrmixer, thanks for the answers!

Here my answers to your questions:

mrmixer is right, raylib is only a thin layer with basic gamedev functionality, useful for small-mid games. It's also possible to do a AAA game but you will need to code more layers over raylib (and probably a big team of professional people).

Can I create custom modules without recompiling like an engine from scratch using the static library? For example, Hex file reader or header images (png to .h, .hpp with imagemagick)

Not sure if I understand it right, you code your game over raylib, no need to recompile the library, only your code. Just in case, you have raylib source code available, that's extremely useful.

How do I get Raylib to create cross platform binaries without much work? (Using GCC, MingW, OSXCross, and Android Toolchains)

You need to recompile your code for every platform with the proper compiler. More info here: https://github.com/raysan5/raylib/wiki

I read about this content the other day and found it interesting, Raylib supports LUT and CLUT, for 2D, camera and 3D objects, if I want to use CelShading?

Wow, lots of concepts in a single questions, raylib provides basic 2d/3d camera systems and can load some 3d model formats, anything else should be coded by the user.

Hope I clarify your doubts! :)
3 posts
Asking some things
Edited by brojonisbro on Reason: edit
Thanks again for the answer guys!

Hey ray, i was talking about read a image or archive from hex,ascii, searching raylib on google i find this image on your official website: https://www.raylibtech.com/images/portfolio/modal_rembedder.png

I think this "match" what I was trying to understand and try. At least i think.
Where can I find rED lib?

And...

I would like to know: how to implement videos too, on my game? I would like to use videos for show abilities in a preview window/box on my game. It works with stb_vorbis.c (OGG Video)? Can videos works with transparency?
Ray
62 posts / 1 project
I like videogames/gametools development.
Asking some things

About rEmbedded tool, actually, development is stopped at this moment, sorry.

About playing video with raylib, you should use an external library, I recommend trying https://github.com/phoboslab/pl_mpeg